Tuesday, April 5, 2011

General Conference Internationally

Bummer I missed a lot of conference. I got a chance to see Priesthood session in Marseille which was sweet. Elder Utchdorf and Elder Eyring gave talks which were sharper than a two edged sword. They were really inspired and shed light on many topics which I needed both as a missionary and as a Priesthood holder. I got to see a little bit of the conference with the BYU Idaho combine choir sing-- that was incredible! It made me wish I was back at BYU-I singing. There were so many people I recognized it's amazing how quickly I have forgotten so many names. When I return from my mission, it will be embarrassing if I don't remember family names or names of our ward members. I'll just trust in the Lord and ask for a ward list a month before I come home. That way, I will be ready for any new members. Well, it was very disappointing that our satellite did not work at our ward building, because we invited all of our friends and all of the practicing Muslims from across the street to watch conference. When we arrived, the bishop told us it didn't work but not only that but it also didn't work in Avignon and Aix en Provence so the next closest would be Marseilles. It was needless to say a bummer. I have learned some valuable lessons from this experience. The importance of sacrifice, a living Prophet and ancient scriptures which we have so freely to use and apply daily. Also, - I look forward to going to the temple. There are so many times on my mission I have thirsted after the peace, joy and inspiration that we receive in the Holy house of the Lord. In any case, I started reading Doctrine and Covenants last week and I am currently in section 60. I have been writing down the sections that I would like to go back and study because obviously in a few days I have not had the time to study the sections intensely. Furthermore, I have been studying the house of Israel and finding much joy and learning about the different tribes there is such a rich history. I love when you send me the letters from Dear Elder. I love hearing about Emily on Temple Square, Rachael in Missouri, Michael in Africa, Adam the Spaniard in Provo, Ashley soon to be in Argentina, Bryce in Romania, Paul in Albania and William in Chili. In any case, I hope no one back home is taking General Conference for granted!! I now realize how much of a blessing that it is to have a Prophet who is a seer and revelator which leads and directs us to always follow Christ. We are defiantly In the last days and as I have read many times in Doctrine and Covenants we must be ready to meet the Bridegroom by reading scriptures ancient and modern, praying always, renewing our covenants weekly, keeping all of the commandments and following Jesus Christ who is living. Jesus Christ showed us the example and the way to be perfect even as God, the father is perfect. For there will come a day when no man can live on borrowed testimony light. Be prepared by relying on Jesus Christ so that when he comes he will have no problem recognizing you as his disciple and that you will have no problem recognizing him as your Savior the Son of God even Jesus Christ. I know that The Book of Mormon is truly a testimony of Jesus Christ. With this 3rd testimony of Jesus Christ we see the fulfillment of prophecies both found in the Old Testament and the New. Jesus is the great Jehovah in the Old testament and the great Redeemer in the New Testament. Jesus on the sermon on the mount stated that you will know my Prophets by their fruit. We see with Moses his fruit was the 10 commandments. We see with the other great prophets of old like Abraham with his fruit being his posterity being blessed for all time and all eternity and that Jesus the Christ would be born in his lineage. And Now we see the fruit of a Prophet in our day with The Book of Mormon. Any one who takes the promise given by the ancient Prophet Moroni and reads, meditates and studies The Book of Mormon with an open sincere heart, acting in faith and asking in the name of Jesus Christ to our Heavenly Father if the Fruit of a modern day Prophet is true, I so testify that they will have a response given to them by the Holy Ghost. The only way to enter into the kingdom of God is to be baptized by water and by the spirit by someone holding the priesthood power to act in God's name. The only Church on the earth today with that profound power and authority is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints with a prophet living with the living Christ directing and The Book of Mormon proving that the heavens are open. These things I know by the personal witness I have from the power of prayer and witness of the Holy Ghost in the name of Jesus Christ Amen-- Elder Garlock

No comments:

Post a Comment