Monday, April 11, 2011

Baptismal Drought

Well, this week high, high, high hopes... and... I'm still hoping! This past weeks things have really heated up which is a constant reminder that the baptismal drought is still there, looming over our heads. However, while I was on an exchange this week, we really found some people who are ready. One person we found named, Benoit said. "I am a baby Christian. This morning I prayed to find the church of the Seigneur". We have seen Benoit twice since and he is engaged for the baptism for the 30th April. I have a feeling I will be transferred the 24th right before my birthday--right before a few baptisms and--- right before they receive a car here. I hope I'm wrong! However, it would not surprise me at all. In any case this week, Elder Birk and I decided to really just go for it with Mdm Lavie. She has a testimony of the gospel but is scared to keep all of the commandments and be baptized. My very first lesson here in Vitrolles when I arrived was with Mdm Lavie and so we have a very large trust. I have a been more than bold with her on several occasions and she is ubber close to being baptized. Furthermore, the moment she chooses to stop seeing her boyfriend is the moment she will be baptized. It's a very complicated situation and there are many factors. However, yesterday we had a very solid lesson on placing God first and letting the rest work itself out. If nothing else an important lesson I have learned since being in Vitrolles is when I give my best I can feel satisfied. Well, something out of the ordinary this week... You know when I said the church building in Vitrolles is not in the nicest/best/religiously open neighborhood? Well, as Elder Birk and I were walking in the neighborhood, across the street we encountered quite a few groups of people-- old and young Arab french-- just the usual people and a kid of about 17 years old walks up to us and just stops us no big deal right? Wrong-- he rips the bag off of Elder Birk and sprints off. Elder Birk decides that he wants his bag back so what does he do???? He turns and sprints off after the kid... speed it up.... one thing led to another...... Elder Birk victor! Yes, he got his bag back! Elder Garlock side kick, o ya! Many more things occurred however, to keep this email G rated we shall leave it at that. The work is progression to all those who have written me recently I have not forgotten you, letters will be sent out within the next couple weeks. Love you all, Elder Garlock

No comments:

Post a Comment