Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Diligence and Miracles

Back Row: Elder Graham, Me, and Elder Ritter, (Assistant to the President)
Front Row: Frere and Soeur Abadie with Soeur Sa Oliveira
Pyreenes Mountains. They are closer than they appear! Beautiful!

This week has been a week about miracles.

Elder Graham and I over the past 3 weeks have had a grand total of 3 yes, only 3 people who we met on the road give us their contact information to set up another time to meet. Then this week we had 17! Yes, 17! and on top of that ---20 lessons and on top of that 5 investigators in progress and on top of that Juan committed to baptism the 26th of December. He is on page 200 of the Book of Mormon . Miracle after miracle after miracle!

If someone has lost their testimony, let me write them, because this week is proof that miracles still happen. We also gave three blessings for the sick this week. Miracles on top of miracles.

Elder Graham and I had a challenge from the mission president to make 14 road contacts. We went to town. We talked to Every single person on the bus, walking, and running. We met countless amounts of people-- literally hundreds. We had a district meeting on Monday. I gave the discourse on our missionary purpose. The discourse, helped me realize the true calling that I received, to invite others to come unto Christ. I learned that the Lord blesses us for our best efforts--not for our best successes. Successes are blessings for our efforts. I learned that diligence in all things and self discipline--- to bite the bullet when things aren't going the best--- that we have the power to change a situation---- to not be acted upon---- we then in essence have true freedom to be who we say we are ---sons and daughters -----disciples of Christ.

Elder Graham is nearing the end of his mission. He is a master of a teacher. We are the perfect combination of the one two punch! I'm the opener and he is the closer. He is the genius! We have truly hit our stride as a companionship being unified and diligent together. The assistants to the Président were here in Pau on Saturday. I realized I never want to be a leader in the mission! Soooo much more work! I thought not understanding people and this language was hard! I had a shock of reality when the assistants were describing what they do.

I was grateful for the nativity set how cool! I placed it under our fake Christmas true and it looks amazing. While cleaning out our apt the other day, we found three Christmas trees --each of different sizes. We also found Christmas lights which gives us a perfect night light. The window stickers, monkey game and presents really set the tone for Christmas and of course, Josh in the background singing that good ol noel CD!

The financial clerk for the mission in Toulouse has placed more euros in our account. Thankfully, I guess it wasn't just me starving!! haha! Know that all is good and I am well as far has my temporal needs go with food!

Also health update: I threw up, hard core on Saturday night, the night the Assistants were here. That was an experience! I also literally burned my thumbs really, really, really bad. My flesh, when it touched the oven, singed --ohhhh the sound and then the smell of my thumbs--- flesh burning---oh, was bad-- but life goes on. I'm sure you will see the scare when I get home!

It also snowed here this week in Pau. The Pyrenees mountains have been amazing. They remind me of the Olympic mountains. But we are way closer here in Pau than to the mountains back at home!

O yes, a funny story: In one of our rendezvous, the lady's kids were named the same first names as my companion and me!! And then get this, they are the same amount of time a part in years! haha! We looked at each other and tried holding in our laugh but it was in vain! Really funny.

I am sincerely grateful for your generous out pouring of love and true charity that has been shown for the last 22 weeks of my mission! I love all of you. Christ is our mediator. He is a separate, glorified person from our Heavenly Father.
Love,


Elder Garlock

No comments:

Post a Comment