Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Baptism of Soeur Sa Oliveira on Left and Soeur Martin on the Right

This week I have been humbled. We had 2 baptisms on Sunday, Soeur Sa Oliveira and Soeur Martin. It was great to be a part of them. Soeur Sa Oliveira thanked Elder Graham and I with tears in her eyes. She wanted to kiss us! But we had to resist. It was a sweet moment. Soeur Sa Oliveira has ALL of her family against her in being a member of the Lord's church. So this week we did more lessons than usual. She is such a sweet lady who writes down EVERYTHING we teach her. She told us that when she is mad or frustrated she dictates passages from the Book of Mormon or reads ALL of Gospel Principles AGAIN. This daughter of God truly is a Latter-Day SAINT.

Christmas here is very interesting. They have insanely beautiful street lights!


Yesterday we were in Bordeaux for Zone conference and the zone talent show. I played the piano while Elder Graham sang. The zone also sang at l'arch de triomphe. It was a great experience to see people stand around us and just be amazed that someone was caroling. Caroling here is not as big of a deal. Half way through caroling, I was tired of seeing people watching us but no elders contacting them. So I broke mid way through the song and started contacting people. I met a total of 10 Muslims all practicing and all wanting to have a political discussion on America. They told me that I was a horrible person. This has been not the first time so I said, "Salem malley kooom" and "voila quoi", instantly we were friends. Learning that one phrase has helped me realize that people love their culture.

This week was also very touching because Elder Graham and I sat down with 8 Romanians! We had Iuan translate for us the 1st lesson. The spirit was very strong. It is hard because half of the group wants money from us the other half is adamant Catholic and Iuan is bashing them all and was correcting blasphemy left and right. It was awesome to be a part of. It's sad however because Iuan left France yesterday on an emergency. His father fell very ill and he had to leave. He won't be back till he is better or has died. Iuan has such strong faith.
It is amazing! I loved the nativity you made me. I gave it to a Romanian girl who is 7 years old.

Also, I have been wanting to know for sometime what in the world happened with the November primary elections? Did Democrats or Republicans or tea parties win? What happened?

Roach update: only came across 5 roaches this week ---so things have been getting way, way better! How is Elder Wahlquist and Elder Garlock doing ? How is Elder Merrill and Wahlquist doing--as a companionship? I met Elder Merrill once and I've only heard good things about him!

I hope that you study preach my gospel too! It's a great inspired book for everyone. I especially love the Christ like attributes. I have been working on patience and my faith which are directly linked.

I love you and ciao jusqu'a la semaine prochaine!
Elder Garlock

No comments:

Post a Comment