Thursday, December 22, 2011

Step Away from the Car!

I got pulled over Tuesday... It was in the middle of no where and I was going up a one way.

French one ways are very confusing because on some of the quote on quote one ways both sides pass and wait for the other car and take turns. The one way that I went up the wrong way was signed the same way but once getting up the one way I realized that the sign was misleading and the police station was right in front of me. A women stood up from her desk pointing at me and signaled that I pull over. I did so. Then I explained the misleading signs and confusion... She took all of my papers (gratefully I had my passport and titre de sejour) and walked back into the station. 10 minutes go by and she came back out telling me the gendarmerie (national police) will deal with my situation.

At this time Elder Claflin is keeping his cool and I'm thinking I'm a dead man... the song I'll be home for Christmas ran through my head a couple times. The gendarmerie pull up and ask me to step out of the car and come inside with them. We walk inside and had an interview of my dealings why I was there etc normal police stuff. Then I find out from them if you have been in France longer than a year your permit is invalid-- I'm no math matition but I have definitely been in France longer than a year. So little red alarms start sounding in my head and genie from Aladdin mayday call sounds. I some how from the grace on high come away with a 135 euro ticket(I don't think I'm going to buy a suit but instead use that money for the ticket) ;( and a huge headache.

30 minutes after this incident we receive a call from President Murdock (in no relation whatsoever to my ticket) telling us to park our car. We get talking and find out the night before president had received a phone call from the inter region authorities warning him about this law of one year drivers. President found that 10 of the 14 zone leaders with cars have no longer the right to drive. Meaning a huge problem was at hand.

President after hearing my ticket story gets off the phone with us and talks to the mission lawyer and finds out that the states of Washington and Utah never ever have the right to use their licensees to drive in France.

In other news my voice is raw i have probably sung Silent Night in English over 100 times this week. We have two versions one is me singing pop and Elder Claflin beat boxing underneath and the 2nd is us singing together as a duo.


Montpellier is so beautiful with the lights and little shops all over town.
Love,
Elder Garlock

No comments:

Post a Comment