Monday, November 1, 2010

Things here in France are Rainy, Rainy, Rainy.

This week was exciting for Elder Graham and I with a baptism of Berthe. She is a sweet African lady. I was supposed to give her the Gift of the Holy Ghost yesterday but the Bishop forgot to announce it. We promptly reminded him but he said it was too late. Elder Graham was not happy, nor was I. So I'll be doing that next week. Also, last minute change, Elder Graham ended up doing the talk. The Bishopric called us back and specifically changed it to him. I guess they wanted to understand what was being said.

After our zone Conference in Bordeaux on Monday the October 22, we went to Bayonne. We got stuck there for 2 days because of the HUGE Strike. It was insane! Seriously, thousands of people! We were instructed not to take pictures of it. So I didn't! But I really wanted to because it was massive. It felt like a dream. So surreal.

Tons of flags and music and yelling it was cool to walk through. We got to the Gare train station, by bus and then we found out no trains were running. We tried to hop on a bus and found out that the bus that had just taken us, couldn't run because the strike was blocking the roads! Soooo we had to walk back to the Bayonne Apt through thousands of people-- pretty sweet.

Bayonne is the heart of Basque country, which I found out have some pretty sweet people. The stereotypical beret is actually Basque. In Bayonne, there is a suburb named Biarritz. Tons of french people go to Biarritz on vacation. Too bad we didn't have time to go into that part of the Bayonne area.

Here is a story I will never forget: On Tuesday, Elder Graham and I went on an exchange with the Bayonne Elders. Elder Bell and I had the opportunity to go move a family that lived in Gabat. If you get a chance, type in Gabat into the Google maps, and see what you come up with.

Elder Bell and I hopped into the car with the Millers, members in the Bayonne ward. We had a map and had been given directions from the family who needed help moving. We left at 5:30 in the evening and managed to get lost for a good hour and a half until they handed Elder Bell and I the map and said, "Get us to Gabat!"

So with divine inspiration, we directed ourselves through country road after country road. We finally climbed all the little hills and looked back and seriously saw a sunset! I will never forget it! It was amazing to see what looked like the most beautiful spot on the earth!! It was such a blessing to get lost!

Through all of that confusion, frustration, and yelling we made it to the most peaceful spot in all of my mission, it was amazing!!! After the sun had set, we traveled through a few castles, and finally we found Gabat!! Which is not even a city!! But we moved the family in a half hour and they were so grateful.

With the six of us, we did more in a half hour than we could imagine! We all considered it a miracle! It was an awesome experience. I just wish I had my camera! Getting lost in Basque country and finding pure beauty is a great memory for me that I hope to never forget!!

After finally getting back to Pau, we immediately started planning the baptism for Berthe. I volunteered to sing, "I believe in Christ" as a solo in french. Elder Graham helped me with the pronunciation, which I was very grateful. I also played piano, which was frightening! But I pulled it off with the Lord's blessing. I was also a witness for the baptism and I gave the closing prayer. It was a small baptism with about 15 people. The spirit was strong. When Berthe was baptized she started clapping, it was a sweet moment.

Well, I love all of you and we have 3 people committed to baptism in December. I am hoping I get to stay in Pau. Next week I find out whether I'm transferred or not. On Wednesday I'll be in Toulouse.

Till next week!
Elder Garlock

No comments:

Post a Comment