Monday, November 22, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

Bon jour tout le monde

Things in France for me have been full in culture! I have come to realize to only take a little portion for the 1st couple courses of the meal. I really almost had a bad experience.We ate with the sweetest, oldest Soeur in the ward last night. The First course was a light soup. Next course was a huge lasagne. Next course was cheese, salad, and bread. The last was ice cream. I made the mistake of taking to much soup and too much lasagna. When it came time for the goat and sheep cheeses, my stomach almost couldn't take it. But miracles happen.

It's interesting it takes almost all my focus to understand what people are saying. But I got it. The french language, as far as comprehension is almost complete. The speaking and sentence structure and french sayings and such, is still a struggle. I know it will slowly become easier and easier.

Last week, Anthony Betteridge's old colleague from his mission gave a talk in church and he said something that really hit me. The gospel makes the comfortable uncomfortable and the uncomfortable comforted. I have found that one line very true this last week.

We started off this week with tons and tons of rain and went to Bayonne (I love that ville) for an exchange. I headed back to Pau with a new blue Elder straight out of the MTC His name was Elder Grossen and so I was leading us around on Tuesday. We got to do service for Frere Bonét in Oloron Ste Marie. He paid for our lunch which of course was canard. MMMM I love canard and that he paid for us to have a special treat called a russe. It was probably the best patisserie ever! It's a speciality to the Oloron Ste Marie area.

That night of the exchange, we had a dinner appt. at the Portwood's. They are an awesome Canadian family who spoke English, which was very nice for Elder Grossen and me. We got off at the bus stop and I remembered the last time Elder Graham and I went to their house we got lost. We still don't have a phone because it was broken. So I literally lead by faith! We showed up 20 min late, but it was an amazing dinner.

After the exchange the next day, we headed to Bordeaux where the Elder Texiera spoke to us. It was an uplifting awesome experience. The spirit in the room was so strong and he actually gave the Bordeaux zone a special challenge that he didn't give to any other area in the mission. He told us to kick it up a notch! Elder Graham and I looked at each other and we're like alright let's do this! The work in Pau is going well. Our area in Pau is the top in the Bordeaux zone right now and so I know the Lord will magnify us to take it even higher.

After the zone conference, I went on an exchange with Elder Mayor, who only speaks French. He is a stud and the zone leader. Elder Mayor and I caught a ride around Bordeaux with Elder and Sister Texiera, Brother and Sister Carter, and the Assistants. Really fun! I found out that they went on a mission tour with Elder Pearson and went to Matthew Pearson's mission and met him. It was awesome to hear that. Anyway, Elder Mayor and I got a ride with them to Talence.

It was very difficult for me to only speak French for 2 days straight, no English!!! I felt like my brain was going to explode!


Happy thanksgiving!! No one in France has even heard about Thanksgiving! So I will probably be eating pasta or pizza while your eating your dinners! haha

The Lord loves us. I have been blessed and am grateful for many things!
Have a good week!!
Elder Garlock

No comments:

Post a Comment